Friday, October 17, 2008

Counting Down to Turkey Day!

This year, I’ve decided to have fun with Thanksgiving. Usually I get all stressed by everything having to be perfect. At the same time, nobody helps. That means that I’m all stressed while everyone else is having a good ole time. Well, this year I’ve decided to plan ahead and then (hopefully) not go crazy on T-Day. It’s already getting to the far side of October, so it’s time to start breaking out the cookbooks and rating potential recipes. This year I pledge to have fun with it all. Now, let’s see if that actually happens!

Have you ever seen Pieces of April? It’s a terrific movie about a young woman, April, who throws Thanksgiving dinner for her family. They travel into the big, bad city. Yet her mom and her sister have their doubts and on the drive over they seem to make it known every chance they get. Okay, I thought they were completely mean to poor April.

No, I’m not comparing myself to her. Actually, April reminds me a lot of my little sister. Little Sister has a lot of potential, but she hasn’t seemed to make up her mind yet to live up to it. When she does, she’s going to be amazing. But, I digress. Anyway, the whole point of this is to say that I’ve decided to decorate the same way April does. To give her family a terrific turkey welcome, April decorates her apartment, and even the stairwell, with autumn-colored streamers and balloons. It’s all very festive and cheerful. Doesn’t that sound like fun?

I’ve even enlisted my daughter, A., in the preparations. It’s her job to make wonderfully handcrafted turkey invitations. You know, like the kind that little kids do when they’re in kindergarten. Made out of construction paper, with lots of glitter, maybe even feathers and googly eyes. :) So, who cares if she doesn’t really want to make them because she’s a bit past fingerpainting age. They’re going to be cute!

No comments: